- It is not possible to adopt an unborn child.
- A married couple or an individual can adopt a child.
- In the case of a couple, only married spouses can adopt a child together.
- A child can be adopted by childless people, as well as by people who already have their own children or adopted children.
- Adoption is decided solely by the court, the court act on the proposal from the adoptive parent.
- There must be a reasonable age difference between the adoptive parent and the adopted child.
- Adoption is excluded among direct relatives and siblings. (This does not apply to a surrogate mother.)
Many useful books and brochures have been written about adoption. Some of them can be found in the section Literature and Legislation.